A penning trap is a type of ion trap that confines charged particles using DC electric fields and a uniform magnetic field (unlike a Paul Trap which uses RF electric fields and no magnetic fields).
One application of Penning traps is for Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometry (FT-ICR). Image Charge Detection is often used for detection.
SIMION examples include
- SIMION Example: icr - basic ICR example.
- SIMION Example: electrostatic_induction - image current measurement
- “malmberg_penning_trap” example (not yet officially added to SIMION) – uses the Poisson Solver in SIMION to characterize the effect of non-neutral plasma space-charge confined in a penning trap
- Session 5 “Ion Cyclotron Resonance Mass Spectrometry”
in the Short ASMS Course (
courses\shortfolder in the SIMION 8.0 program directory and also included in SIMION 7.0).
- MassSpecPro.com: Fourier Transform Ion Cyclotron Resonance (FT-ICR)